Penyghent 23.8.21

 
John Twisleton on top of Penyghent 15 October 2018

Penyghent


On a well worn path I reach the mountain’s summit and a place of reflection.

My forbears trod this way over millennia smoothing the path up Penyghent.

Crowning Yorkshire Dales this mount surveys Lancashire’s witch-famed Pendle Hill.

Awesome yet accessible, families ascending here today touch my memory.


Hand in hand with Greg my dad I made my first ascent awed by the climb.

Dalesmen know the easy access above Stainforth shortening the climb.

Years later my own sons became Three Peaks initiates with Penyghent our favourite.

An hour or two in conversation and exertion together bonding us afresh to Yorkshire.


My forbear Tom Twisleton trod here and crafted poems of homage to the Dales.

Sitting writing on Penyghent I am a little man on the shoulders of this stone giant.

I can see Morecambe Bay but the inner eyes of my heart see further.

Part of an age-old procession, I thrill at views that reflect the Creator’s glory.

John Twisleton    23 August 2021

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brompton Oratory 23.7.23

Speakers’ Corner 23.7.23

Distraction 8.7.20